Friday, December 5, 2008

Day 4 of rehearsals & Maurice is in the Green Room

As you may know, I'm starring in Aladdin as Abanazar as well as directing the show. I've been asked how I direct myself when I'm also appearing in it. So this is what I do...
Firstly, Abanazar's scenes are mostly solo appearances which take place in front of a cloth so this makes it much easier. What I tend to do is ask the Assistant Stage Manager to walk the blocking whilst I'm in the director's chair watching from the front, where I speak my lines.
I have a wonderful Company Stage Manager in Carolyn Roper, who is always one step a head of me and she organises the day, she's like a first assistant director on a movie so this helps reduce my stresses and strains and makes directing myself much easier.
Our experienced choreographer Louise also acts as a second pair of eyes when staging a scene.
I have the attitude that all ideas are welcome and I will listen to any suggestions or thoughts the cast have. I think if you stop people from expressing their thoughts you may lose what could have been a real show stopping moment.
Directing the show is all about creating ideas and for this you need a team, and at Watersmeet, the team of technicians, box office staff and the cast are all working in unison, and with smiles on their faces too which is great!

No comments: